Five Themed Costume Ideas That Scream Put-in-Bay
It seems like just yesterday we were talking about melting ice and freeing the ferries. Like always and every summer, time flies when you’re having a good time. Don’t fret though, Put-in-Bay’s last big bash is this weekend and just to help you out, we’ve come up with a few unique South Bass style costume ideas that are sure to make you the talk of the island during this year’s Halloween at the Bay.
1. A Giant Round House Bucket – Perhaps the most recognizable take home item from Put-in-Bay, the iconic red bucket is a sign that you’ve been to the world famous Round House Bar. What could be better than wearing a small, red bucket on your head? Becoming a giant, red one.
2. Miller Ferry Deckhand – While we wanted to suggest becoming a five to six foot model decoy of the Miller Boat Line’s Islander, we’ve come to the realization that it might be too lofty of a costume goal. Instead let’s go with something a little simpler. Do you remember what our skillful deckhands that help get you to the island on time look like? Do us a favor though, don’t confuse us too much on the ride over.
3. Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry – Hero of the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813 for his brave efforts in defeating the British, Commodore Perry is without a doubt the most heralded historic figure in Put-in-Bay History. A little research on his appearance will most likely give way to some fantastic ideas for this old-school costume. Hint: Pay close attention to Oliver’s snazzy sideburns.
4. Perry’s International Peace Memorial – No doubt requiring some prosthetic-like ingenuity, this particular costume idea would be one for the ages. And just like the aforementioned navy hero it commemorates, a perfectly constructed monument costume would leave you sitting squarely on the right side of the history books…just these ones would be more Halloween-ish.
5. Lobster Bisque – Everyone who’s had lobster bisque from The Boardwalk most certainly knows, it’s delightful. Now dressing up as this comforting seafood sensation, that’s legendary. Just like the difficult decision you’re faced with when you order, should you be the whole bowl or just the cup? The choice is completely up to you.
Have another costume suggestion that we didn’t fit into this list? Please share!