Island Green Week featuring the spectacular Bass Islands in Lake Erie
Island Green Week on Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass Islands August 6 – 13 will make you remember most about the islands as a kid – water, rocks, cliffs, caves, kayaking, meteor showers, moss, moonlit nights, beach bonfires, cozy camping, swimming, beach combing, cottaging with your family, ferry rides, overnight stays on the lake and nature.
Each day during Island Green Week has its own theme and island destination. Be part of a dedication of the newest Put-in-Bay lakefront nature preserve, savor the ultimate outdoor date at the Stargazer’s Cruise aboard a ferry, tour and hike rarely explored island sites, stand inside the world’s largest geode – Crystal Cave, explore Stone Lab and Gibraltar Island, enjoy live entertainment at an island style pig roast, tour a lighthouse, aquatic center and fish hatchery, join a nature photo walk, kayak for prizes.
Island Green Week is geared for all ages. Some events are free, others carry a nominal fee. Restaurants, island transportation and some attractions will also offer special prices for registrants.
Miller Ferry will be offering Green Week participants $2.00 off round trip adult passenger fare to Put-in-Bay or Middle Bass Island
*Please present coupon when purchasing ferry tickets.
E’s Put-in-Bay Golf Cart Rental, located at the Miller Ferry Dock on Put-in-Bay, will offer $5.00 off all day cart rental to Green Week participants. Registrants must reserve their cart at least 24 hours in advance at esputinbaygolfcarts.com.
*Offer only valid during Green Week events at Put-in-Bay.
Island Green Week events include:
• Aug. 6 – Middle Bass Island Poker Kayak Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Rain date Aug. 7) Fee $10.
• Aug. 7 – Dedication and Celebration at the new Put-in-Bay Massie Cliffside Preserve on East Poiint – 1 p.m. Activities include hiking, fishing, birding and guided nature tours.- Free.
• Aug. 8 – Tour a Great Lake Lighthouse – Put-in-Bay, South Bass Island. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free.
• Aug. 9 – Wild Tuesday, topic “Something’s Fishy” at the Nature & Wildlife Center, Meechen Rd. – Put-in-Bay – Free.
• Aug. 10 – Island Preserve Ramble & Eco-Tour highlights natural areas including sites rarely seen by visitors – Put-in-Bay, South Bass Island – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Includes special activities at each preserve, printed souvenir booklet and guide and light lunch. Fee $40 per person. Tickets available the morning of the event at the Put-in-Bay Town Hall, Catawba Ave. or reserve tickets by calling Kendra Koehler at 419-341-2725, Kelly Faris at 419-285-4772 or Lisa Brohl 419-285-5811.
• Aug. 10 – The Lake Erie Islands Nature & Wildlife Center’s Annual Pig Roast at 6 p.m. at The Goat Restaurant. A relaxing outdoor picnic with Entertainer Ray Fogg performing, plus a silent auction fundraiser. Fee $15 for dinner.
• Aug. 10 – Gibraltar Island Tours – Water Taxi from Boardwalk at 10:45 a.m., tour island 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. $10 per adult for tour plus water taxi fee.. 419-285-2341.
• Aug. 11 – Stargazer’s Cruise aboard a Miller Ferry. Departs Miller Ferry downtown dock, Bayview Ave., Put-in-Bay 8:30 pm, returns approximately 10:45 pm. Enjoy the sunset afterglow, then cruise to escape ambient light and become blanketed under the stars. Refreshments included. Tickets available at the Lake Erie Islands Nature and Wildlife Center, call 419-285-3037. Fee Adults $18, Children $10.
• Aug. 12 – Visit the Aquatic Visitors Center and Fish Hatchery. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Free.
• Aug. 13 – Middle Bass East Point Preserve Photo Walk – 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Free.
Take time to explore other island treasure’s including the caves, limestone beaches, State Parks, wineries and
Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial.
Sponsors of Island Green Week are The Lake Erie Islands Nature & Wildlife Center, Lake Erie Islands Conservancy and the
Put-in-Bay Township Park.
Lodging and transportation information is available at visitputinbay.com or visit SHORESandISLANDS.com. For additional Island Green Week details and savings visit lakeerieislandswildlife.com or phone 419-285-3037.