Miller Boat Line and Islands – Quick Facts
- Of Ohio’s 262 miles of Lake Erie Shoreline, 43.2 miles are island shoreline. (Source; “Resources of the Lake Eire island Region. Cooper / Herdendorf)
- Miller Boat Line is the only scheduled means of transporting freight, cars and commercial vehicles to the islands of Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass. It’s the only scheduled ferry service to Middle Bass Island. We also provide freight charters to North Bass Island and Rattlesnake Island.
- Since its beginning, Miller Boat Line has been family owned. Started in 1905 as a fishing charter, water taxi and ice harvesting business, the company has grown to become the largest ferry service on Lake Erie.
- William (Bill) and Mary Ann Market bought the boat line from Mary Miller in 1978. As a tribute to the founders and the company’s long standing reputation in the ferry service, the name “Miller” remains today.
- Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass Island, Ohio are located halfway between Cleveland and Toledo in the western basin of Lake Erie.
- Miller Boat Line employs 100 people during peak season. Several employees have been working for the company for more than thirty years.
- Put-in-Bay is three and a half miles long, about a mile and a half wide.
- Year round Put-in-Bay population is about 450 and Middle Bass is 45.
- The name “Put-in-Bay” is probably derived from our secure harbor, a place where a ship can “put into the bay” for refuge from temperamental Lake Erie storms. Also, a 1700’s map created by the British, names the harbor “Pudding Bay” perhaps because it is shaped like a pudding bag, commonly used in the ship’s galley (kitchen).
- Approximately 750,000 people visit the islands of Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass Island, Ohio each year.
- Put-in-Bay School on Catawba Avenue is home to 76 students (2017-2018) with 17 teachers. Five students from Middle Bass Island and one student from North Bass Island commute via motorboat or plane daily to Put-in-Bay for classes. The Senior class consists of 4 students that will graduate in 2018.
For all press inquiries or personalized media visits, please contact
Katrina M. Reed
Miller Boat Line
P.O. Box 239
Put-in-Bay, Ohio 43456
Miller Boat Line
If you would like to be added to our media list, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org